Thursday, September 1, 2011

Deep Tissue

About 20 minutes into my massage, I could feel the migraine lifting. It could have been the massage, or the medication. I choose to believe it was the prayers! But anyway, I had a thought, that I could get up right then, stop the massage, and be satisfied. I could walk out of here feeling soooo much better, and tell her she did a great job, even paying for the full hour, and just go home happy.  I mean, I have a billion things to do!  But I couldn't.  For the life of me, I could not get up off that table.  It just felt too good.

And then, it got better.

There were places I was sore I hadn't even realized.  My lower back, for instance.  My ankles.  I would have missed all that.  And the more I laid there, the more relaxed I became, and I thought - why would I have even thought to leave early?!

But so often we do that with church.  I know I am terribly guilty of watching the time, even when it's "good church" because I have lunch with other people, or I have stuff to do, or I'm just flat-out tired or hungry.  And I think, "okay Lord, it's been good.  Now it's time to go."  And I think He wants to look at me perplexed, head turned sideways, as if to say, "But I haven't really begun yet."

Why would I be willing to gyp my Lord and Savior of even a moment of the most precious time He makes for me, the time when I can worship Him freely in this country, with no fear of death or legal persecution?  The time when I am gathered in a room with other believers who (ideally) are doing the same thing?  A time when He is actually in our midst?!

I want to feel worship, the way I felt my massage.  I want to crave it like I crave deep tissue pressure.  I want to be so into worshipping my Lord that I wouldn't get up early for any reason!  That is the worship I want Him to put on my heart.  I beg, Lord.  Make me want more of You.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful post. Good points. Praying for you this week!

    ReplyDelete