Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Weather You See It Or Not

It's going to be a high of 36 today! That's right. It's 27 degrees right now, and it feels okay, but it's gonna be a DOOZY today - sunshine and warmth, I can tell you right now. I'm checking the forecast. (Of course I'm talking about Celsius.)

The first computer program I ever wrote on my own was a tiny little C++ program to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, (something I thought I would never need to do, but it was cool nonetheless) and I remember how proud I was when I told it to "RUN" and the result came out and it was, in fact, correct. And I thought, I did that. In order to make the program work, I had to have certain pieces of information. The formula for conversion, and the current temperature - in Fahrenheit. Fahrenheit was really all I had ever paid attention to, before that moment. Little did I know I would end up moving to Spain several years later and OH how applicable it would be! The oddest thing in Spain was getting on a train, dripping with sweat because it was so hot outside, and reading the marquee as we pulled away from the station, that it was 38 degrees. It was almost insulting to my American-ness.

Another thing that got me in Spain was military time. Uh, yeah, it still gets me. I missed several trains/busses because of this one. 13:35 is actually 1:35, NOT 3:35. My brain doesn't do this conversion. I tried... I really did. I hate military time! It's actually a much more efficient way of displaying time; I just don't know that this old dog could ever get used to it.

Isn't it interesting how the same thing can represent something so different, depending on our perspective? It reminds me of 2 Kings, when the servant of Elisha could only see fear and defeat. Elisha prayed for his eyes to be opened, and then he could see the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. (2 Kings 6:17) Nothing had actually changed; only his ability to see and experience what was already there.

As I have before, I strongly urge you to pray for Jon & Kate, that their eyes may be opened and that they will see what is already there. I urge you to pray for our nation. I urge you to pray for your family. I urge you to pray for your church. God is seeking you out and stirring up faith in you right now. Don't let it sit... PRAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment