Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Floss the Word

Do you floss?
 
I've been thinking about my teeth lately, and I bought some of those floss-picks. They are really great!  It never ceases to amaze me what can be left in those crevices even after I feel like I have brushed like a pro!!!
 
I remember a sign in my dentist's office when I was a kid: "You don't have to floss all your teeth; just the ones you want to keep!"
 
I think it's like that with God's Word.
 
Have you ever had a really good day, you know.... your hair looked great, you felt like everyone liked you, much success in everything you did, and then - you open the Bible to have your quiet time that evening and BAM!  Conviction, conviction, conviction!  It's like,
Oh. Maybe I shouldn't have said that to so-and-so. 
or
Was that the right decision regarding that situation? I was so confident earlier, but I didn't take this to God, and now... I'm wondering why not. Obviously He had something to tell me about it!
or
I knew in my heart I should leave that alone. Why did I press that today? I guess I wasn't in tune to what God was trying to tell me.
 
When He speaks to me after-the-fact, I still want to hear it. But I wish, I wish SO much, that I had been in the Word every day. See, you can't floss away a cavity. Once it's there, it takes some serious work to get it resolved. I think that's how it is with sin and ungodliness in our lives - God gives us His Word as His sword, His shield, His "pick" (so to speak) to do His preventative work in our hearts.  There is no room for complacency; all it takes is a little stronghold, an area of unconfessed sin, a rebellious spirit, a distraction, mere busy-ness of life... and the enemy can creep in and attack us.
 
I'm going to try to remember to floss and read God's Word daily. Floss the Word, I say.  FLOSS THE WORD!

1 comment: