If I were the devil, I would plant weeds in your garden of Love, weeds that look like roses. So you wouldn't notice, but rather you'd say "how pretty!" until my weeds were able to overtake your garden.
I would remind you daily of your past.
I would use the disappointment of your child to make you hate the church.
I would give you more, and more, and more, so you would want less of God.
I would trick you into focusing on the small stuff, and making mountains out of molehills.
I would use sports, technology, or even church activities to keep your family (esp. your children) so busy that there would be no time for intimate fellowship with God.
I would use the illness of your spouse's parent to make you jealous and tear you apart from each other.
I would be there to comfort hurts with thoughts of vengeance.
I would whisper thoughts of grandeur, so you would try to become big. Then one day I would snap the chair out from under you to watch you fall.
Yep, that's what I'd do, if I were the devil. I would want nothing more than the utter destruction of your entire God-fearing family. So watch out. If I can think up this stuff, he certainly can. Whether rainy or sunshiny, we are the bull's eye. And we cannot protect ourselves in our own strength. HE is our protector, and we have to remain faithful!
I super agree with the keeping so busy point that there is no time left for intimacy with God. That happens so frequently to people that it largely goes unnoticed! Good point, wise lady! :)
ReplyDelete