"You don't have to floss all your teeth; just the ones you want to keep!" was a sign posted in my dentist's office when I was a kid. I still remember it. And no, I don't floss daily. (But I should!)
As we've been watering the yard and watching grass appear and stretch across patches of dirt and begin to grow and flourish, I've been thinking. A lot. At first I couldn't understand why we had to water the dirt where there was no grass. But see, it needs to be loosened up and made ready for the grass to even grow there. And then I got "gung-ho!" on watering the dirt patches and I would forget to water where there was already good, green grass. It seemed to be doing just fine... then I realized how dry it was getting, and I gave its daily drink of water back.
I think discipleship is much the same way. We tend to completely forget about those people in our lives who are the crusty dirt. Cuz it doesn't look like they'll ever change. And what about the ones who are blossoming and growing? Well, they're just fine and dandy! I bet they don't even have to have a quiet time any more! (kidding)
I learned a lot about this when we held Bible studies in this house over the past three years. Women ranging in age from 23-60, varying in faith and denomination, and even one who had admittedly never studied the Bible herself before. Women who were dedicated, and never missed a week. Women who showed up Week 1, and then again Week 8. (of a 9-week DVD series) Erin and I had to constantly remind ourselves that it was the work of the LORD going on and not "our program" or even Beth's lovely face or Priscilla's dynamic voice who was running the show. We had to learn to love on our girls, when they were here, in whatever condition they arrived.
So that's what I'm doing with the yard. Half of it looks great, and the other half? Well, it's pretty sad. But it's trying! Maybe the dirt patches only came for the snacks, but at least they're here, so I can water and see what happens. Right?!
p.s. And by the way.... this watering comes at a cost. I have sacrificed money to have a well-nourished yard. But to me, to us, it's worth it. What are the costs associated with watering people? We sacrifice time, energy, and yeah, sometimes even money. But oh, OH how much it is worth it when you hear someone say "And that's when I fell in love with the Word!"
I really enjoy how you turn the most mundane things into spiritual application. Today, I was ironing one of TJ's shirts and had a few spiritual application thoughts come to my mind- and I thought of you and laughed, because you are so gifted at turning everything back to Christ! Anyways- the third paragraph was my favorite and made me think. Especially the point about how those who are growing still need ministered to, also!
ReplyDeleteI agree with KacieB. I can totally relate to what you wrote. I love this post. You reminded me of something. Sometimes we need to water ourselves. Love ya keri.
ReplyDelete