Sunday, November 7, 2010

Suggestions

When we pray for a person, a human being with free will, how exactly does God work in that person's heart? I used to think I understood this, but the more I pray and the more I see God's work the less I understand His process. We can beat our heads against the wall and give God our amazing suggestions of how to work in someone's life, and at times it seems like those are the days when that person is furthest from changing. And finally, we breathe a heavy sigh, and throw up our hands to the Lord saying, I don't know what to say Lord, this situation is probably a lost cause, but I still want You to work in this person's life... and then somehow we see change. Maybe God not only doesn't need / doesn't want our suggestions, but maybe He is also waiting for us to submit to His will. His complete will. The agreement that whatever and however He chooses to work in someone's life better be okay by us because we are not to judge the Lord, or His work. So the Bible says to pray specifically, right? But I am speculating that we are not to offer specific suggestions regarding the circumstances of our prayers. And I would be crazy not to admit that there is a very fine line between the two. So fine we cannot straddle the fence. We are either wholly surrendered to what He wants to do, or we are making our own plans and telling God how it should go. Wow. When I think of it that way, I really want to go back and re-pray the last prayer I just prayed.... Adios!

p.s. And upon further thought, I wrote this entire post with prayers for other people in mind. Obviously, if you're praying for a job, that's a specific request (i.e. suggestion) but then again - maybe God has a different plan, so I think that's why some people always include this in their prayers: "if it be Your will, Lord; or according to Your will..." because they know that we can pray and pray and pray for a specific thing, but sometimes God chooses to answer a different way. Ok, that's all. (for now) I LOVE THIS TOPIC - Prayer!

2 comments:

  1. This is a topic that I don't think is preached upon, talked upon, or thought upon enough...and I am glad you tackled a portion of it. Sometimes, prayer seems so simple, but in all actuality it is sooo complex. We are told in Hebrews that we are able to approach the throne boldly in time of need...yet sometimes our prayers are too specific with God and not surrendered (enough). I struggle with this too. It is so hard to unclench the fist we have tightly holding onto some of our desires (even Godly desires!) to let God take complete, and utter control. Which leads into a whole new topic of: Faith. Ha! Good post- lots of food for thought. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kacie! I'm glad this resonated with you (and another friend who called me) - I have done the study on prayer by Jennifer Kennedy Dean twice and it's a topic I never grow tired of studying.

    ReplyDelete