Thursday, June 11, 2009

Varnish

I've been putting the finish on the cabinets. .........It's not as much fun as the staining was. I have to be up on a ladder or actually standing on the counter. My body is contorted at weird angles, and it's almost impossible to reach some of the corners. I thought I would like using a brush, but it makes my hand cramp. And it's harder to use my left hand, but when I was staining it was easy to switch out and use either hand. The varnish gets everywhere, and because it's clear, I can't see where it drips. There isn't the right kind of lighting in the kitchen for what I'm doing. There are weird shadows and I can't even tell if it looks good. I got the varnish all over the cooktop the other day. :( I guess I should have covered it before I started. The varnish is sticky, and mineral spirits don't take it off my hands.

So, all that said, I'm not enjoying the process of finishing the cabinets.

I'm thinking that sometimes in our lives, God has to put a top-coat on us, spiritually. We don't always make it easy for Him. Maybe after a period of time when we have experienced significant growth, God has likened to "finish" it out, and what do we sometimes do? We put ourselves in awkward positions or situations again. We hide in the darkness. We don't allow Him to put on a very thick coat, and then we dab our fingers in it while it's still sticky, making smudges on what He was trying to make beautiful.

If God's trying to finish something in your life, let Him. Chances are, He's doing it to protect you. He's doing it because He loves you. He's doing it to make you even more beautiful than you already are.

Philippians 1:6
He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment