Saturday, April 4, 2009

Outside

I am realizing, remembering, recognizing, what an outdoors gal I am. As a kid, I was always outside. I rode my bike, I climbed trees, I played on the fort, I took walks/hikes, I climbed fences, I imagined I was an Indian...
I'm not sure when it started, but at some point the smell of the outdoors started to bother me and the brightness of the sunshine began to affect my headaches.
In recent months, as some of you know, I have been trying a new medicine for my migraine condition, and it's been working beautifully. It's called Topamax. I take it every night. I bothers my stomach a little, BUT...
I am learning to live normally again. I drive with no sunglasses. I don't freak out and shut down the air conditioner in the car when I pass someone who's mowing the grass. I don't panic if I can't find out the ingredients. Because now... if/when I do get migraines, I take my normal medicine and within an hour (almost always) the pain subsides and I can continue my day as planned.
Today, I had a migraine earlier, but the pills did their job, and I've just come back from spending time at the park. Me. At the park. Just me, sitting in the grass, up against a tree, alone with my thoughts, talking to God and just being peaceful and remembering how nice it is to be in nature. It's pleasant.
I like natural things. I like God's earth. I like his creation. I don't like busy-ness and although I am admittedly addicted to technology, I really don't like it. If I could live on a mountain and ride a horse every day, I think I might. :)
But, all that aside, I am relishing in the things the Topamax is allowing me to do and I am trying to reduce my stress by leaving school when there's still daylight to spend time outside and do something in the "wild" especially now that the time has changed.
God doesn't want us indoors all the time.
I wish I didn't have to take medicine. Ever. It's certainly not "natural." Maybe I won't have to take it forever. But I thank God for the medicine and for the opportunity to feel normal again. I hope it lasts!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are better and that you got out in God's world. You are precious you little Indian.

    ReplyDelete