Sunday, March 7, 2010

Cotton Balls?

I was going to post my sermon notes from this morning. (Love my iPhone... LOVE it.) But there's one thing that stuck out above all, and it wasn't his main point, so, I want to summarize his sermon in my own feeble words and then try to recount what he was saying that impacted me so much.

Doug Anderson was preaching "Pause" since it's Spring Break for most of us around here. His sermon points included Rest, Read, and Reflect. Things we shouldn't neglect during a break - it's even more crucial to spend time in God's word during an off-time.

Something else grabbed my attention even more, though. The passage in Isaiah 6, which talks about Isaiah's vision - the pastor got up during worship while we were singing "I See The Lord" (and I'm not sure who wrote it; there's some discrepancy regarding its authorship on the internet, so if you know - please tell me!) but anyway. The pastor was talking about the angels who were shouting "HOLY!" and that they each only said it once. The reason it's written 3 times in our Bible is for emphasis, because of how it translates. They were so into what they were saying, it was like they were exclaiming it to each other and everyone around.... with such passion... and fervor... that not only did it shake the temple but it caused it to fill with smoke!

Pastor Anderson talked about how these angels never left their post, wishing to "explore the universe" for something else. They never got bored with praising God. Why? Because the presence of God is so undeniably, incredibly and amazingly awesome we won't think about leaving once we get there!!!!! That thought made me want to jump off my pew! Actually, I think we were already standing, but you know me - I always did want to be a cheerleader.

Do you think that heaven is a bunch of cotton balls illuminated by pale neon blue lights?

Do you think that a God who created this earth, who created you with the discernment to know when you're getting bored, could ever Himself be boring to you?!

GOD'S PRESENCE WILL BE AMAZING! WE GET A LITTLE TASTE OF IT NOW, BUT WE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO TOLERATE MUCH IN THESE EARTHLY BODIES. I LOOK FORWARD TO THE DAY WHEN PAIN AND SORROW ARE GONE AND GLORY IS ALL I SEE, ALL I HEAR, ALL I KNOW.

But until then, folks, we have a job to do on earth. We must be heavenly-minded but diligent to do what He has set us here to do. Otherwise - if there were nothing He wanted you to do - would He not take you into His heaven within the exact moment you accepted salvation?

WHY ARE WE STILL HERE? Figuring out what God wants you to do can be incredibly frustrating, but don't give up. Go to His word, daily. Get involved with people, who can study with you and love and support you. And above all else, grow your relationship with Him. Talk to God. Listen to God. Wait on God. Learn from God. He created you. He loves you. He's ready to do amazing things in and through you if you will just see the big picture!

1 comment:

  1. Cheerleader Hunnicutt- I love it. Thank you for the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete