Friday, March 5, 2010

Medicine

Yesterday I had funky migraine-ness, without the actual headache. It was weird! The weather is changing from cold to hot, which gets me almost every time. Around 4:30 I did start to develop a touch of a headache, but a little nap after school helped tremendously.

My goal yesterday was to avoid all medication, just to see how bad it got. Guess what? It didn't.

I never even took an aspirin, and I was able to fall asleep and rest well last night.

For about a month now, I've been taking a reduced dosage of Topamax, and nothing "really bad" has happened so far. I have a little bit of light sensitivy again, but still not having to wear sunglasses. (I should probably change out my contacts) This month has been absolutely crazy, and I haven't had regular healthy sleep patterns, so I'm impressed that I haven't been inundated with a slew of migraines. But I've felt okay! I'm able to eat normally again, and my body doesn't resist fullness. It's great.

I am hopeful, optimistic, and looking forward to the day when a migraine will be a minor thing for me and medicine will do what it's supposed to. And I really get excited about the thought of a day when I won't be taking a pill every night... at all! This is my prayer. Not that the migraines go away completely (although that would be wonderful) but that I would be able to lead a normal life, off the medication. This is my thorn; I'm sure of it. If God chose to remove it, I would never want to forget the pain. I would never want to take for granted the freedom to wake up in the morning and feel fresh, to stand in the sunshine and enjoy it. I would always want to remember and help others who still suffer from the same.

We'll see... we'll see...

But for now - I still take the "child's dose" and I'm just weaning off very slowly. Trusting God doesn't mean I have to take drastic measures when it involves chemicals and my body. He made us intelligent beings for a reason!

1 comment:

  1. Is this "weaning" doctor's orders or your orders? just curious....

    ReplyDelete