

As I've been staining this door, I've had a lot of time to think. And with that, of course, comes the spiritual analogy I get razzed for so often, but here goes.
This door started out completely white. Without blemish. Pure.
But actually, I looked closer before beginning to stain and I noticed some things.... it needed sanding. My dad had marked on it with pencil for measuring. There were some staples on each end, holding the pieces together. Hmmmm.....
I did what I had to do, to prepare the door for staining. I sanded it, wiped it down, set the lighting in the garage, and double-checked to make sure I had all my materials ready. Then I got to work! Over the past week, I have covered both sides of that door. Each side now has two dark coats of Mahogany Brown.
I'm not done, though. Oh no! Once this dries, I will have to sand the pretty stained wood and then cover both sides with protectant.
Ok, ok. The analogy. I know. I'm getting there. See, we are all blemished. We should be white, but because of sin, we are imperfect. God has covered us with his stain, of the blood of Jesus Christ!
The most beautiful part, though, that brings me almost to tears, is this: in my humanity, I can look out there and remember that door the way it was. I can clearly remember the pencil marks, the staples glistening against the unfinished wood, etc.
When God looks at me, ALL HE SEES IS HIS SON. He remembers NOT my sins, my failings, my inadequacies from yesterday, last year, or even a moment ago. Because I am saved by grace, He sees the stain of the Blood on me and that is all.

I want to love others like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment