Saturday, November 22, 2008

Falling Leaves All Around Us

When I'm absorbing a deep thought from my Bible study (usually on Saturday mornings) I tend to stare out the window. This morning, I noticed a leaf falling. I realized how rarely I actually see a leaf fall, and yet, they are on the ground everywhere. I think I'm normally too busy, too distracted, too unconcerned to notice. But they still fall, all the time.

Isn't this how it is with us and God? He's doing things all around me, all the time. I know He is, because I can see it everywhere, but I don't always get to see it happening. If I did nothing... for an entire day... just sat still and watched and listened, I still might not see what God is doing because I can only look at one place at a time. God is not predictable, not in the way I'm talking about. What I mean is, I don't know how to guess what He will do next, or when a prayer will be answered, or just exactly how a situation is going to play out to glorify Him.

But He is working, all around me, and all around you. Don't sit there and wait to see a falling leaf; look for the leaves that are already on the ground and jump in them! Thank God for the blessings He has already bestowed on you and praise Him as you run through the leaves. More leaves will fall. They always do. God never stops doing good things in the lives of those who love Him and trust Him. He's drawing each of us closer to him with each little leaf of His goodness. Admit what you know and trust Him and love Him. This is His desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment