I'm miffed. And I need to vent about it.
Once a week, we (teachers) have to use our conference period to go to a staff development of some sort. Today was my 2nd time. I don't have a problem with this. I think it's good use of resources, we no longer have to have weekly faculty meetings, and it holds people accountable as to what they're doing during these 90-minute conference periods.
And I like to be on time. I strive to be on time. I am, on occasion, late. But I will call or let someone know, and I really really hate it. I don't want to be super early... just "on time."
So, today - I used my lunch to call a counselor first, then a parent, of a student who misbehaved really badly in my morning class. I mean, BAD. I couldn't continue class until I made her go to the porch. I hate doing that. It was hard on my heart. I needed to deal with the situation, and I knew I wouldn't have a conference, so I used my lunch. The MOTHER actually TOLD ME I'm TOO NICE and that I'm going to have to be meaner. Lol. Anyway, not the point. I didn't get to eat; that's my point.
So at 1:18 my class let out, and I had just found out that YES I was supposed to take my laptop to the training. Well, I had been busy TEACHING, so I hadn't shut down or anything. So I had to close all my files and windows and shut everything down, then get the computer out and pack it up. I grabbed my lunchbox, too, thinking maybe I could sit at the back and sneak a few bites of my sandwich while listening intently to the presenter. :)
As I was walking the .76 miles across campus, carrying my laptop, purse, and lunchbox, I saw two boys unattended, eating a snack by the trash can. I questioned them and they admitted that their teacher told them to go to ISS for being tardy. (That's our policy; she's following the rule!) So I told them to go and they said they didn't know where it is. They're freshmen... they probably don't. SO - do I leave them, unattended, also? NO. I told them I would show them. And I walked the little-bit-longer-route to take them to ISS myself.
Another teacher was walking right behind us and knew what we were doing; I asked her if she was headed to the training and when she said yes, I said "Please let them know I'm on my way!" I guess she didn't feel the need to be my secretary today because I found out later she didn't and she certainly didn't feel inclined to help me with those two boys. RETIRE, LADY.
While escorting the gentlemen to ISS, I noticed one of my best students from last year who was in there for a discipline issue. I talked with her for 2 minutes about being her best and not getting in trouble over a stupid cell phone and that who you are is really the only thing you truly own and all that.... etc. etc. Then I headed on my way. At last. A little late, but okay. WHEW.
A minute later into my walk, I saw THREE boys out of class with no pass; at least, not the proper pass our school uses. I said some stuff but they ducked into the restroom or showed me a stupid piece of paper that their teacher (who ALSO doesn't follow the rules) had written. Whatever. I give up, at this point. FOLLOW THE RULES, GROWNUPS!!!!!
I was almost there. ALMOST THERE. Rounding the corner right before the classroom where we were holding our staff development, when I noticed something written on the ground:
"Suzy Q is a ________" (2 hints. It didn't say Suzy Q, and _______ isn't anything I want to write on my blog.) Suzy Q is one of my students. I didn't want anyone to see that, especially her, so I called a secretary on my cell phone to tell her about it. She asked me where I was, and with my blood sugar as low as it was, I don't know if I could have described my own mother at this point. I told her the wrong street at first. She finally figured out where I was standing (no thanks to me!) and said she would call someone to paint over it.
I rounded the corner, breathed a sigh of relief, and walked into a full classroom, into a meeting that had already started, where they were discussing something we had already been told in an email. "ARGHAFLVKNSVLFJNBGTBLJKTNB!!!!!"
I had to sit waaaaaaaaay up front, where the only empty spot was, but I got settled in and tried to make nice. After all, I had done everything I was supposed to do, and it was all about the kids.
The assisstant principal, who was doing the first segment of the training, took that opportunity to point at me and say, "Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. Let's all be on TIME for these trainings."
No comments:
Post a Comment