Friday, August 21, 2009

Semantic Rambling

"I've got so much to praise Him for..."

How many times this thought has run through my head, when I have felt the need to shake out of a funk and realize the good things God has done for me and all the blessings in my life.

But tonight, I think I have realized something erroneous about that sentence. The word "praise" should be "thank."

"I've got so much to thank Him for..."

Yes, we should always remember to thank God for what He has given us, what He has done for us, the blessed circumstances in our lives, the way He can work things out for His good and to His glory.

But praise? We should praise Him... because He is. We shouldn't praise God because somebody got that job or not praise God because they didn't get it. We shouldn't praise God when a healing takes place, but forget to praise Him in mourning the death of a loved one. We just have to focus on praising Him for Who He is. All the time. In every situation. In any circumstance. Because those aren't the reasons for our joy - HE is.

1 comment:

  1. I have another Stormie Omartian book to recommend-- The Prayer that Changes Everything- The Secret Power of Praising God... at least I think that's the whole title! I'm only about half way through it but it is great!

    ReplyDelete