So the "highly recommended Master Carpenter" came to my house this morning to give an estimate on the carpentry that is needed to make my new oven fit in my kitchen. First, he parked in my driveway and sat in his truck for about 10 minutes before deciding to come to the door. When I let him in, he was less than friendly (but professional enough) and I showed him the kitchen. He had wrong information about what I wanted done, so I tried to explain to him what we were trying to do. At some point my dad got there. I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but it turned into a convoluted mess of "you can't do that" or "you don't want to do this" and blah blah blah... basically, he was very negative. He didn't seem to want the work, and kept referencing price as if we had discussed it, when the truth is that he has no idea how much money I have or don't have, or how much money I'm willing or not willing to spend. He was presumptive and pious, which is why he won't be getting a call from me. I just realized he never did actually give me an estimate. He just kept saying words like "can't" and "won't fit" when we all know I don't think that way. :)
On that note, I bet Jesus was a good carpenter. I bet everything he made had a nice finish, and that he took pride in his work and gave it his best. I don't know if he was able to make things look exactly like he wanted without any effort - it seems like it would be a little unfair to say he was patient and without sin if he was never presented with any frustrations or problems. But the whole "WWJD" thing has always bothered me, simply because I am not Jesus, and cannot be him. I understand the idea behind it, that we should strive to do the right thing in every situation, but... I prefer to say "WWJWMTD?" = What Would Jesus Want Me To Do? I guess that was too long to fit on the bracelet.
ugh- carpenters and contractors.
ReplyDeleteWe want to remodel our weird side by side bathrooms but can't decide we're ready to deal with them again...