Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Father, the Architect

My dad is really good at his job. Not only that, but he loves it. He gets to travel and work with lots of different people, and he gets to be creative and knowledgeable.

The kitchen in my new house is a thorn in my flesh. After dealing with negative-carpenter-man, then receiving a pretty high estimate from a remodeling company, I was feeling a little bummed about how difficult and expensive it was going to be to make my kitchen into what it should be. Then, my Dad came up with a plan. (Moving the fridge to the other side, installing the oven where the fridge was supposed to go... stuff like that) And he suggested buying pre-made cabinets to go with the new layout and we even went to Lowe's and checked them out. They're beautiful and the look a lot nicer than the ones I have now.

He has now drawn the layout and elevations to see how it would look. These drawings look very professional and it makes me excited about what we're planning to do. When he asked me what I thought, I kept saying "I really like it!" and then I told him that the only negative thing I could see was that he hasn't been doing this type of work for the past 20 years, instead of just 6! But I guess that's all about God's timing. If I had gotten my "dream job" at Robert E. Lee 5 years ago when I thought I wanted it, I don't think it would have been a happy-happy situation for me. As it happened, I got some real-world experience (which makes me appreciate what I do every day!) and I also met certain people at a certain time, which led to me moving to Spain for a bit. Now I am truly fluent in Spanish and I'm really good at my job. So I think when we are actively seeking God's will in our lives, things happen at the best time. It's when we try to rush God or force something He doesn't want for us that we end up frustrated and even sad.

That sad, I'm a REALLY impatient person and I wish for certain things so badly that it literally hurts sometimes. But I can trust God and wait on Him... because I have seen over and over that His timing is perfect and that I am just a tunnel-visioned human.

Back to my Dad, I really just wanted to say that he impresses me all the time with this drafting stuff, and I think he is really good at what he does and I am very proud of him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment