I tried a new church today. I liked worship, but there's really no place for me to go to Sunday School. I'm not really a "20-something" but the other singles' class was for 40+. There were other classes but the two older gentlemen giving me information were trying to steer me toward the 20-something class. When I asked about a different class, an old testament study, I didn't get the impression I would be welcome in it, since they said it was all "older people" although I know I would have really liked it.
Basically, I decided to try other churches b/c of several reasons, but the clincher is this: I have to be a part of a church whose beliefs are inline with my own on a couple of specific issues. The sanctity of salvation. The issue of glossolalia and it's perceived necessity. I have to be part of a church where I can enter leadership (in music or with kids) and I cannot just attend a church and never get involved. But I also need to grow, and I want to be a part of a Bible study. And I don't want to be labeled. I hate the word "Singles" and everything it implies.
This process is very frustrating, and I came home after worship feeling very depressed. I don't know if this church has the "it" factor for me. Maybe it's not the church; maybe it's me. I don't know. I just feel very alone today and I wish I could talk to my friend about it.
I know that must be so frustrating. I don't know much about churches in Tyler but I do know that most people have a hard time in any town finding the perfect one. Just keep going, keep praying and seeking and you'll find her :)Finding a good sunday school is key though, or a small group of some kind. check and see if these churches have women's ministries. That is where I found my place- just with other women my age. In fact this year, I am teaching 2 year olds to have a place to be on sunday morning and using my monday morning bible study as my small group/"sunday school" time! I'm sure someone has groups that meet in the evenings, too. That's a place to start anyway! A place that feels like home and the people are good to you is the best kind of place to be!
ReplyDelete